Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gelderland Take 2


Last year's Ronde Van Gelderland was my first UCI road racing experience. And it was a shock!! A field of 200 riders fighting for position from the gun... even though the first 7km is supposed to be "neutral". Last year I was losing that fight badly, barely making my way past the middle of the pack and rarely near the front. Eventually I really lost the battle when I got mixed up in *this* disaster and ended up riding the rest of the race in the car (summary here). Nobody on our development squad actually finished the race, but it was a good learning experience for all.

This year I was a little more prepared for what I was getting myself into so the shock factor wasn't there, but the battle from the gun still ensued. One of my teammates witnessed three crashes within the first 7km (the "neutral" part of the race). There were many more close calls throughout the race as we fought for precious space near the front of the peloton. But eventually we reached the climbs and the peloton spread apart and split into a smaller front bunch. The whole team survived the break up and rode a really strong race. Highlights include Megan off the front for half an hour, a Team Tibco and Cervelo chase down to pull in two attackers, and 4th and 10th place finishes by Brooke (aka trousers) and Mackie.

All around, this race was much more successful than last year. There were times of frustration being stuck in the pack, but also times when I was able to get to the front -- I definitely need to keep working on position, but compared to my first Gelderland experience, it was a world of difference being able to negotiate through a big pack. Being a part of an all around solid team effort also brought a new element to the Gelderland experience. Cycling is a whole extra level of fun when you are part of a cohesive team.

Next up tomorrow is Fleche Wallone...

Here is a glimpse of the finishing hill. The Mur de Huy is a 1.3km climb averaging over 9% grade with some sections spiking to 25% grade. Hopefully I don't have to walk the bike up :)


No comments:

Post a Comment