Monday, May 17, 2010

Back in the USA


(Tibco stringing it out at Roeselare)

My spring classics experience ended on a high note at Roeselare. Some hills, some cobbles, and a cobble climb (the kemmelberg!) - a little bit of everything. But the best part was that our team really came together after weeks of racing with each other and the whole race we were in breaks or creating them. In the end, our last break was caught with only a couple kilometers to go.... We didn't get the result we wanted, but we were all on a high from a solid team effort and ready to go crush the next race...

Unfortunately, that was the end of the spring classics for the team. Afterwards, Megan and I had an epic adventure home (it included broken down cars, late night frites with a random guy in Eke, and camping out in the airport), while the other girls headed to France for a bit of rest before the Tour de L'Aude. I was sad to leave just as I was getting adjusted to the European way... narrow roads, crazy cobbles, road furniture, and funny languages... but happy to return to all the goodness of being home.

After a week of jetlag, the racing resumed! I headed off to arKansas for the Joe Martin Stage Race. It was a bit of a shock to have wide, smooth roads with no cobbles or obstacles anywhere in sight. But it was great to return to the "midwest" which feels like my cycling home... and nice to see so many friends and familiar faces! The racing went well overall for our team... despite a series of crashes on the last day which didn't quite go our way, we ended up with a podium and a 4th place in the GC.

After another long journey home, I was zonked and ready for some rest and some real home time...

(This is how tired I was... I wish these were my pets!)

No comments:

Post a Comment