Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cross is Here!


It's my absolutely all time favorite time of the year!

Cross always goes by quickly and then I spend months and months longing for it to start again and after waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... it somehow sneaks up fast and woah -- it's cross season!!!

This year started off with a fun filled weekend up in Seattle for the Starcrossed and Rad Racing NATC races. The conditions were wet, muddy, and perfect for cyclocross! The weekend began with Starcrossed under the lights and surrounded by an enthusiastic crowd. I went into the race feeling a bit rusty and still a bit exhausted from the previous weeks (who knew weddings were so tiring?), but I was also very excited to be racing cross and energized to be back on the knobby tires. I was hoping to squeak into the top 10 and snag a UCI point or two and was shocked when I found myself racing for a top 5 spot. My body was a bit shocked too and by the last lap I faded into 6th, but I was happy with the finish in such a strong field of women.

The next day brought more mud, torrential downpours, and sand -- more cx fun! I got off to a much better start than the first race and was up in the top 5 from the very beginning. Even after a dive in the sand (this is not the ideal way to dismount) I was hanging in there near the front. I was also having a ton of fun getting muddy and being back on the cross bike! In the end I struggled to hang on in the last lap, but finished one place better in 5th! Overall a fun start to the cross season -- I can't wait for more!!

Next up, I'm headed to madison with my bro for the first USGP races -- Mad Cross always puts on a great race -- I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment