Thursday, June 7, 2012




Last weekend was a special occasion for me.  I had the privilege of returning to Chicago for a great weekend of bike racing.  When I look back at my cycling career, Chicago is where it all started.  I started racing collegiate when I came to the U of C as a grad student… and then raced the local scene with the support of some great Chicago bike shops.  From there I entered the pro ranks and have been racing all over the country and the world… and despite the fact that I no longer live in the windy city, Chicago always feels like home for racing.  It amazes me what a great cycling community Chicago has… despite the flat roads and sometimes dreary bike path riding… the enthusiasm of Chicago cyclists can't be beat and I love coming back to race!

The weekend started out with a new USAcrits race held in Lake Bluff.  Our host family did a lot of work putting on a top notch event and our team didn't want to let them down.  We went out and raced hard from the gun.  Attack after attack was the plan and about 20 minutes into the race, I counterattacked as my teammate was being brought back and got a gap. After a lap, I had a partner in crime and after another lap there were 3 of us working together to stay away.  I was in a break with Katie and Liza -- Katie I raced with in my early chicago days and Liza I race with at the local bay area races.  We had a good crew… except when you mix the tallest and the shortest riders of the peloton, it does not make for good drafting -- doah!

We had a tiny gap for the majority of the race and I expected to get gobbled up at the end, but suddenly our gap grew and it came down to a sprint… since I do not have much of a jump, I decided I needed to go early… and when everyone slowed into the last corner I put my head down and went for it.  I pedaled as hard as I could and didn't look back.  I kept waiting for that moment for somebody to sling around me right before the line, but it didn't happen -- I got the Win!!  I usually spend most of the races working hard for my teammates and they always pull through for the team.  It was nice being able to pull through for them!  And it was very special to get the win in Chicago.

But to tell the truth, I really wanted the win because I love ice cream and all season my team deprives me of ice cream… when I beg and beg to stop the team van for ice cream I am told that I don't get ice cream unless I win a race!  That is kinda harsh, but also very motivating!  Finally I get the win… yet… my team still hasn't provided the ice cream.  I am hoping they are just waiting until they find the very best ice cream (as I am an ice cream snob)… but I hope I don't have to wait too long.  

As you might imagine, without ice cream to refuel, Glencoe was a hard race!  Our team went from the gun and despite many attempts we didn't manage to get a break away to stick.  However, Gokey pulled out a fast sprint and finished on the podium in third!  All in all, a great weekend for the team!  And a great weekend of racing thanks to Glencoe and Lake Bluff!  I'm looking forward to returning to the area for Elk Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment