Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cross Is Here



The first race of the cyclocross season -- I've been counting down the days since Dec. 14th of last year!

However, this year felt a little bit strange. Had I been in Chicago, I would have been racing a minute from my old apartment. I would have been racing in Jackson park... where I've practiced 'cross from the time I got my first 'cross bike until about 2 weeks ago. I would have been excited about the new lines that were about to be grooved into the park for me to practice on the rest of the season (don't worry -- they eventually go away). And most importantly, I would have seen my "cross family" -- all the familiar friends and faces who I've shared the joy of cyclocross with for the past three years!

This year I felt like a newbie all over again -- showing up at a new venue in a new town with new people... but there was still the familiar excitement of cyclocross in the air. The course was a bit different than the flat grassy terrain I'm used to in the midwest. There was a small patch of grass, lots of dirt, a bit of sand, quite a long hill (i liked the hill), and of course a few barriers in the mix. And CA has some pretty good cross fans too! There were lots of cheerers out on the course -- and I even had a good cheering section with Aspen in the pits and an excellent cheering squad from Bike Station Aptos (the shop that helped me get my bike together just in time for the race - THANKS!)

Started off the season with a good result (got a W), met some local teamies (yay), had a lot of fun, and won some strawberries (Mmmm!)... but I was missing home a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment