Monday, September 28, 2009

Planet Bike Cup

Coming back to the midwest was a blast - a venue filled with friends and familiar faces and a great cyclocross vibe! Thanks to JP and Renee and their crew of volunteers for putting together a super fun and well run venue.

The race was top notch competition and a tough course -- and usually racing is the highlight of my weekend, but this weekend the highlight might have been seeing my big brother compete in his first cyclocross race ever!

I love seeing newbies discover 'cross. It's kind of like an addictive drug -- one try and you're hooked. But getting people to take that first "taste" is the hardest part. They've heard stories. They know that 'cross is 30/40/60 minutes of "pain". They've seen the scrapes and bruises that develop throughout a season of taking muddy slips, missing a clip in, etc... Try to explain the joy of 'cross to disbelievers and you just get this "you are crazy" look in return. They don't understand how fun cyclocross is!!

And my brother was no different from your typical disbeliever. It took years of explaining and convincing. I had to arrange a cyclocross bike from santa. I had to build him barriers and take him to a park. I had to call and remind him not to neglect the cross bike. And then finally I convinced him to come race with me! (however, i neglected to tell him the trick about signing up early to get a good start spot -- sorry Seth)

Anyway, the rest of the story is obvious... he raced, he loved it, he's hooked! (he's also pretty good... started about 90th and ended up in the 20's! Yay!)


(Seth starting at the back... i was so excited during the race that i forgot to take more pics)

No comments:

Post a Comment