Monday, October 18, 2010

Cross Racing...



(zoom... photo credit to Jon Suzuki)

This weekend was a double cross weekend near home. Both courses were not typical cross courses... a lot more single track and rocks and dirt than I'm used to, but still a lot of fun. Both days were also a reminder of how you need a little luck on your side to win a bike race. Saturday, I had a bit of bad luck wiping out on a steep little kicker to lose the lead... which I was never able to regain. Still ended up in second to a strong opponent. We raced again the next day and I had a flat (a slow leak which was not a problem due to my super duper bike change -- thanks aspen!) and then decided to eat it on a run up of rocks (sorry knees). But my opponent had even more bad luck than me... 2 major flats (with no super duper pit help) plus a minor wipeout on the runup. She had a good gap on me, but after a major flat we were back together for the final lap...


(down to the last lap... I am looking kinda tired and bloody (photo credit: jon suzuki))

She was probably stronger on the day and more deserving of a win, but in the end the race came down to a sprint on the final straight and I had a lot of air in my tires to help with the sprint... and ultimately a W. It's always a bummer to lose a race and wonder what if and it's not quite as fun winning knowing that your opponent had a lot of bad luck, but that's cross racing. Gotto love it no matter the outcome!

You can tell by the funny faces below that my teammate and I are loving it!! :)
(funny face #1... maybe a tired face (photo credit: Dale Tapley))

(funny face #2... ok, maybe this is a game face (photo: Jon Suzuki)

No comments:

Post a Comment