Monday, October 11, 2010

Hill Repeats


(photo credit: Steve Anderson -- he takes some awesome race pics)

I finally had a weekend at home which was nice after a busy month of travelling, racing, and festivities. After a lazy Saturday, Aspen and I loaded up the car for a local bike race on Sunday (I can't be lazy allll weekend). Last year, I felt a little lonely at the local races because I didn't really know anybody. It is fun to have a great group to race with this year and to start to know some of the awesome people that show up and race. The community is a part of cyclocross that I love!

The race was a brutal one which started with a hill climb, headed back down on a single track roller coaster, weaved through some sand, grass, and dirt... and then back to climbing a wall! It really was like hill repeats with some added 'cross fun in between. Add some dry air and heat, and it was a tough race. I made it up the first climb in second position and then took the lead at the bottom. I had chasers hot on my heels keeping the pressure on, but by the end of the first lap I managed to open a little gap. The gap grew a bit over the next lap, but the chasers were never out of sight and made me work hard for my first W of the cross season! My teammate, who probably wasted a bit of energy cheering me on as we criss-crossed paths during the race had a strong finish to take the last podium spot. We both went away with some delicious giant StrawMmmmBerries.

Afterwards we tempted racers with cookie handups (we are poor and don't have a lot of dollars ;). I don't blame most people for turning down a cookie during the middle of a brutal, hot cross race. But we did have some enthusiastic takers!! Maybe we should try popsicles next time... hmmm....

(Courtney cranking across the finish line)

2 comments:

  1. The course Christian and I raced on Sunday sounds similar, and the temps were in the upper 80s! Sheesh! I had a way better race Sunday than Saturday. Yay for cyclocross!

    ReplyDelete