Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pink Girl


Our Velo Bella jerseys are in the making, so Ellsworth (our sweet bike sponsor) is clothing us with Project Pink jerseys to start the cyclocross season. Now, I admit that when I heard about "pink" jerseys, my excitement level was about a zero on a scale from 1 to 10... i just wasn't so sure pink was a good, fast, tough looking race color. I consoled myself with the fact that I don't actually have to look at myself in a race and probably wouldn't even see the pink. Then I learned that the project pink jerseys support a good cause and raise money for ovarian and breast cancer research. Now the pink color becomes tough and having a good cause behind the color made me a little more enthusiastic about wearing the pink! Plus the Ellsworth jerseys are a pretty cool design too... I could handle this whole pink thing.

(loving the pink :)

It turns out that an all pink jersey also sticks out really really well at a race. I'm new to CA and nobody really knows who I am, but this weekend I was getting all kinds of cheers. I raced the Lion of Fairfax on Saturday which contained an energy crushing run up... but the rowdy fans kept me going with the "GO PINK" cheers. I actually started looking forward to the run up after a couple laps. I'm pretty sure the pink may have helped me to victory Saturday :)

(almost at the top of the run-up... i can hear pink cheers!)

(yay pink!)

On Sunday I entered the men's B race at the central coast cross series. Not only did I stand out in pink, but I was also the only girl in the event. Here cheers alternated between "GO PINK" and "Good Job Girl". After a terrible start and a crash in the bushes, all the pink girl cheers kept me motivated to keep passing the boys... in the end I passed all but 2 -- it was a good hard race.

(getting chased by boys...)

Next weekend I head to Louisville for round 2 of the Grand Prix Series. I'm looking forward to heading back to the midwest and of course to wearing the Pink!


No comments:

Post a Comment