Monday, October 12, 2009

Surf City Cyclocross



I was hoping to go to my hometown state of Ohio for some muddy UCI 'cross races this weekend, but a stomach virus attack left me sick all week and kept me home. There were some upsides to staying home though...

First, I was able to help out in the surf city velo bella cyclocross clinic on Saturday and lure more newbies into the wonderful world of cyclocross! Lots of first timers showed up at the clinic and I joined teammate Erin in instructing a small group on mounting, dismounting, barriers, runups -- all the fun techniques used in cyclocross. It was great to see our group getting better and better throughout the day and seeing lots of smiles as they worked on these new techniques.

(lots of newbies ready for 'cross)

Second, Aspen's family came to visit and we all headed to the first Surf City cyclocross race on Sunday. Aspen's dad and little bro are experienced mountain bikers and two years ago we got them hooked on 'cross. Yesterday they were tearing it up on the cross course -- Cypress (not-so-little, little bro) got tangled up in the start of the 18 and under race and ended up starting dead last... but he managed to work his way through the field and eventually catch the leaders... then he turned up the gas and blew them away for a win! It was super exciting to watch -- he seemed to fly around the course. Wayne raced next in the masters category and followed Cypress' example to take the win! A successful day at the races :) I gave the racing a go, but the body wasn't quite ready for the intensity of 'cross -- I had to call it quits... but I'm hoping to get healthy for lots more racing to come!

(yay Cypress!)

(don't worry -- it's rootbeer... Mmmm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment